Decatur School Board member John Ahmann just forwarded the note he sent to his fellow board members, alerting them to what he plans to propose at tonight’s meeting. Here it is in full…
I have reviewed the June 7, 2011 memo from CSD Legal Counsel Bob Wilson regarding the parliamentary procedures for placing on the June 14, 2011 Board agenda the action items I previously requested. I will not be seeking to rescind priors actions of the Board.
At the beginning of the meeting, when the Board customarily approves the agenda for the meeting, I will seek to amend the agenda to add three items:
- An action item to direct the Superintendent to answer all of my submitted questions or those of other board members on the adopted Bell schedule and my proposed bell schedule for the 2011-2012 school year as well as any questions posed during the discussion of the action item.
These questions include:
- How many additional buses/bus drivers will the Bell schedule I am seeking require?
i. My calculation is 4. Is this correct?
ii. Could we reduce the number of buses for the high school and middle school by reducing the number of bus stops?
- What is the incremental cost of the Bell schedule I am proposing?
i. What are the assumption behind the cost projections?
- Does the School Administration still maintain that the DHS SLT is ok with the earlier start-time?
- Provide written documentation of the impact on extra-curricular activities with a later start time.
- In the overview for the Board meeting April 4, 2011, the Superintendent wrote: “The middle school and high school principals were clear that we need an earlier start time and the new schedule is so reflected.”
i. What changed for the middle school principal to support a later start time? (8:45 instead of 8:00 a.m.)
- In an email to the Board May 6, 2011, the Superintendent wrote, “I know that you still plan on discussing this at the meeting but for me option 2 comes closest to meeting as many of the comments that I have heard from the public.”
i. Does the Superintendent have any documentation of these comments?
ii. Given the large number of signatures on the iPetition supporting a later high school start time, does the Superintendent still maintain this position?
iii. Did the Superintendent perform any formal preference survey of high school parents?
- Does the Superintendent still maintain and support an 8:00 high school start time given the lack of support from the parental members of the high school SLT and the large number of parents opposed to the 8:00 a.m. start time?
- An action item to amend the Bell schedule previously adopted. The amendment is:
Substitute the following Bell schedule for the Bell schedule adopted at the May 10, 2012 CSD Board meeting:
- Decatur High School: 8:45 – 3:45
- Renfroe Middle School: 8:45-3:45
- Fifth Avenue-4/5 Academy: 8:15 – 3:15
- Clairemont: 8:00 – 2:30
- Glennwood: 8:00 – 2:30
- Oakhurst: 8:00-2:30
- Winnona Park: 8:00-2:30
- Early Childhood Learning Center: 8:00 – 2:30
- An action item directing the Superintendent to immediately investigate the cost of lease/purchasing school buses for CSD student transportation needs and to compare this cost to the contract with the DeKalb County School System. If the analysis demonstrates a cost savings over the 10 year life cycle of school buses, the Superintendent shall initiate discussions with the DeKalb County School System for mutually agreed upon modifications to the current contract. The Superintendent shall give a written interim report to the Board by Friday, June 24.
My sincere hope is that one of you will second adding these items to the agenda and then at least two of you will vote in support of amending the agenda to add them. Given the intensity of community dialogue about these items, I hope we can all agree a board discussion and consideration of these actions is desirable. Of course, the mere fact of adding these items to the agenda does not mean you must vote affirmatively for the item when it’s considered but rather ensures we can have a full discussion and debate.