Sure Decatur just finished its Strategic Plan for the next 10 years, but that’s like 10 years away! My internet-toned brain shudders to think of how many funny cat pictures or Facebook status will come and go in 10 years.
I need more immediate gratification. And I bet you do too.
Thankfully, Decatur’s 2011-2012 budget summarizes many of the goals the city plans to tackle in the next year and a half. Some you’ve heard of already, others may shock/please/bore/annoy you!
In last year’s budget, the city broke its goals up by department. This year they’ve broken them up by the four overarching goals in the Decatur Strategic Plan. Don’t remember what those are? Well, NOW who feels silly for not having them tattooed on your back? OK, I’ll give you the full breakdown.
1. “Manage Growth While Retaining Character” 2011-2012 New Projects, Programs & Policies
- • Update the Zoning Ordinance to address housing, parking and design standards (Tasks 1A‐D SP)
- • Write Historic Preservation Plan, update preservation ordinance, and submit 2 National Register nominations (Goal 4 SP)
- • Improve the landscaping and physical appearance of the Square (Task 1E)
- • Design complete street improvements for the Commerce/Clairemont and Commerce/Church intersections as well as the Church Street corridor to increase pedestrian and bicycle safety
2. “Encourage a Diverse and Engaged Community” 2011-2012 New Projects, Programs & Policies
- • Smartphone application Decatur Dash (Task 8D)
- • Decatur Arts Alliance Public Art Project (Task 8C)
- • Communication about Aging in Place programs (Task 5A)
- • Adoption of Universal Design Guidelines (Task 5F)
- • Evaluate diversity of artists and participants at current events (Task 5B)