Decatur Budget: Goals For the Coming Fiscal Year – Part 1Decatur Metro | June 4, 2013
One of the best ways to learn about the City of Decatur’s plans for the coming year is in their “Budget Narrative“, which is a key component of the city’s larger submitted budget.
Within that narrative are a list of the city’s accomplishments from the previous year, along with plans for the coming year. They are divided up by the four main goals in the 2010 Strategic Plan: Principle A: Manage Growth While Retaining Character, Principle B: Encourage a Diverse and Engaged Community, Principle C: Serve as Good Stewards of the Environment and Community, Resources and Principle D: Support a Safe, Healthy, Lifelong Community.
Principle A: Manage Growth While Retaining Character
- Install street furniture including 2 new benches and 10 additional bicycle racks as well as 2 picnic tables (task 1F)
- Fill vacancies in the Police Department so that additional officers can be re-assigned to patrol the commercial districts and to the traffic units to ensure the safety of residents and visitors (Goal 1)
- Train PALS in crossing guard skills for festival and events, graffiti removal and expanded ambassador duties (Goal 1)
- Implement retail and restaurant recruitment strategies to attract types of businesses identified as needed. Train CED staff to negotiate successful partnerships with desired businesses (Task 1D)
- Refine and expand “Keep it Indie-Catur” program (2B)
- Direct development for the Trinity Triangle, Callaway Building site, and the Avondale Marta site (Goal 1and 3, Tasks 3B, 3C)
- Purchase Kubota utility vehicle to improve trash pick up capabilities (Goal1)
- Hire consultants to develop and write a Unified Development Code which will include updating thehistoric preservation ordinance (Goal 3 and 4)
- Hire an intern shared by the Revenue Division and Community & Economic Development to complete projects that relate to supporting local businesses (Goal 2)